RSS Feed from website

Make suggestions for new forum headings, request features, etc.

Would you subscribe to a "RSS Feed" from SJTAG?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:27 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Unsure
No votes

Total votes: 3

Ian McIntosh
SJTAG Chair

RSS Feed from website

Post by Ian McIntosh »

Simple question - Is there any interest in being able to subscribe to an RSS "News Feed" from the SJTAG website?

You can already opt to be notified by e-mail of replies to forum posts, so this would really only apply to changes to the "static website".

(Poll will run for 30 days, starting Dec 10, 2007)
Adam W Ley
SJTAG Established Member

RSS Feed from website

Post by Adam W Ley »

I would subscribe to such a feed.

With respect to the forums, I also perceive a need to not only be able to watch a given topic (notice of replies) but also to be able to watch a given forum (notice of new topics added).

As a case in point, I presume that a given electronic ballot issue will be published as a new topic under the Ballots forum. How can I be advised (by email) of this event?

Perhaps the forums have such functionality but I did not find it in my brief search for such.

Thanks!!
Ian McIntosh
SJTAG Chair

Post by Ian McIntosh »

I've added a simple feed to the "home" page of the main website, to see how it goes. I've tested it with IE7 and the RSS Popper plug-in for Outlook, but haven't tried any of the FireFox plug-ins, like Wizz yet.

As regards notifications Adam, there are a couple of things already there but they don't do quite what you'd like:
  • On the Forum index page to the top right of the screen there is a link for "View posts since last visit", which will allow you to review any new posts without having to check through the individual forums.
  • Once a thread is in place, if you scroll to the bottom of the page you'll find a "Watch this topic for replies" link. This will email you if any new replies are added to the thread, but, as you note, there isn't an equivalent facility to notify the creation of new threads.
There are "RSS scrapers" that can be added to the forum to automatically generate RSS feeds - I'll look into some of the mods that might be possible solutions.

As for formal ballots, I guess we'd undertake to make sure everyone is notified by e-mail anyway, even if there's no fully automated way of doing it (as the site administrator, I can easily generate a "mass email" to either all registered users or to the members of any Usergroup). I've created an "SJTAG Roster" Usergroup, which I update following each meeting using the criteria we agreed a couple of weeks ago - these are the only people allowed to vote in ballots, and I guess it's that group we'd notify when a ballot is posted.

Edit: I've added feeds to the forum. It works, but it needs refined a bit :? . You can now get separate news feeds for any of:
  • An individual topic
  • An individual forum
  • The entire board
Adam W Ley
SJTAG Established Member

Thanks (for RSS :-)

Post by Adam W Ley »

Thanks Ian!!

Very nicely done.