SJTAG is for more than Telecom!

Overview Document
Please debate the content of Volume 1 here!
Ian McIntosh
SJTAG Chair

Post by Ian McIntosh »

The SJTAG Background possibly dwells too much on the TCAs - I know it's an important factor in how SJTAG is developed, but I'm keen to avoid the impression that "SJTAG is only for Telecomms", that I've heard expressed elsewhere.
Bradford Van Treuren
SJTAG Chair Emeritus

Post by Bradford Van Treuren »

Ian McIntosh wrote:The SJTAG Background possibly dwells too much on the TCAs - I know it's an important factor in how SJTAG is developed, but I'm keen to avoid the impression that "SJTAG is only for Telecomms", that I've heard expressed elsewhere.
I cannot agree more with your assessment. Although telecom has been driving much of the activity in SJTAG, there has been a lot of innovation demonstrated from other industry sectors outside of the telecom or networking industries. I am pleased you are involved to give some new insights from the avionics and aerospace industry, which has many different requirements and contraints from what is found in the telecom industry. Jim Webster has also been a great help with your industry. I am also pleased to find the work published from our member, Tim Pender, Kodak, which gives insights into system level innovations provided for the kiosk services industry. We need to promote these innovative partnerships across the industries. I wish we could get people from the automotive industry to get invoved to give us insights into the SJTAG testing needs for distributed embedded systems as well since we seem to be focusing quite a bit on coresident embedded systems in the same chassis. Your avionics industry is the closest we come to examples of distributed embedded systems so far. Perhaps we can add some graphics showing system architectures from other industry sectors when explaining architectures and system integration schemes. I think it might be worth while to include the ATCA slide I have that shows the future of computing systems which become more a spaghetti of embedded systems networked together to create one huge distibuted embedded system to show the telecom industry is going to have to deal with the same problems already faced by other industry sectors. The reality is we cannot limit our focus on homgenized closed structures of a single chassis when we think of a system. Unfortunately, our scope is so broad to begin with, that covering distributed environments might need to be deferred to extension releases of the standard. This does not imply we should not consider these cases while solving the initial standard release.
Bradford Van Treuren
Distinguished Member of Technical Staff
VT Enterprises Consulting Services
Ian McIntosh
SJTAG Chair

Post by Ian McIntosh »

I think "system" is a somewhat amorphous term, with the meaning varying on your perspective: When we sell a radar "system" it may comprise several Line Replaceable Units (e.g. Antenna, Transmitter, Receiver, Processor, Display) each of which may easily be considered a system in it's own right for test and maintenance purposes, and the same could apply to sub-assemblies of these - it depends on where you are in the product's lifecycle. Our customers will consider a complete aircraft or ship to be a system. One man's system is another man's component.

But if we get the right mechanisms in place to support hierarchical structures, which must be fundamental to SJTAG, then upscaling to any level of integration should become straightforward.
Bradford Van Treuren wrote:I wish we could get people from the automotive industry to get invoved to give us insights into the SJTAG testing needs for distributed embedded systems as well since we seem to be focusing quite a bit on coresident embedded systems in the same chassis.
I agree. The automotive industry is probably the sector that gives the most widely recognisable examples of "systems of systems", quite often with OEM assemblies from several vendors integrated onto a single platform.