The discussion forum for the SJTAG Initiative Group

Welcome!

Side discussion, general chit-chat.
Ian McIntosh
SJTAG Chair

Welcome!

Postby Ian McIntosh » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:37 pm

Thanks for joining us.

I'm sure many of you will already be familiar with forums like this, but those who aren't here a few tips to get you going:

Near to top right of the screen is a "gear icon" that takes you to your User Control Panel: from here you can set personal preferences (like timezones, signature to add to posts, etc.), and send and receive Private Messages and change email address or password.

The idea is that discussions follow threads or topics - if you have something new to talk about, start a "new topic". Others can then "reply" to the topic, or if they want to respond to a particular comment made earlier in the discussion then they can "quote" that comment.

The editor is fairly basic but allows some formatting - for most things, simply highlight the text then click on e.g. the "B" button above the edit box to make it bold.
To insert an image (jpg, gif, png) they need to be hosted on the web somewhere (but see later comment on attachments); type or paste in the URL, highlight it and click the "Img" button. The code will look like [Img]http://www.domain.com/filename.png[/Img].
There are two ways of inserting links to other web resources - you can simply type or paste in the URL or if you want to make the hyperlink on specific words in your text do it like this: [url=http://www.domain.com/link]text to link from[/url].
Hover over the edit buttons for usage examples. There's a more comprehensive guide to the BBCode markup used in the editor here: faq.php?mode=bbcode (there's also a link to that on the "BBCode" legend to right of the edit box).
Bulleted list - wrap the list with [list]...[/list] tags and start each item with [*]:
[list]
[*] First item
[*] Second item
[/list]
A numbered list is similar (note that you can have a list that runs 1, 2, 3... or a, b, c... depending on whether you put '1' or 'a' in the opening tag):
[list=1]
[*] First item
[*] Second item
[/list]

Below the edit box you'll find a tab labelled "Upload attachment" which you can use to attach small files (1MB maximum) directly to your post. If the attachment is an image, you will have the option of inserting it "inline", i.e. so it appears in your post at the point you've reached in creating it (you can of course cut and paste the reference to move it elsewhere if you wish). Otherwise, it be listed as an attachment at the bottom of your post. You can have up to 5 attachments to a single post.

For bigger files, or file types that the forums don't permit, the group leaders have access to additional file storage: You can ask to have your files uploaded for you and you will then be given a URL to include in your post to reference it.

Hovering over a user's name, next to a post they've made will show ways to contact that user.

If you have any problems, you can send me a Private Message (PM) via your User Control Panel.
Ian McIntosh
Testability Lead
Leonardo MW Ltd.

Ian McIntosh
SJTAG Chair

Re: Welcome!

Postby Ian McIntosh » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:56 pm

I should also add that I've left the access pretty open - you are able to browse the SJTAG posts and comment on them and vice versa for the SJTAG folks. I've left it that way to try promote some of the cross-fertlisation that Al and I think is possible.
Ian McIntosh
Testability Lead
Leonardo MW Ltd.

Return to “Off-Topic”