Comments on STAM Glossary terms

Common section for discussion of glossary terms. Please create a new topic for each term.
Ian McIntosh
SJTAG Chair

Comments on STAM Glossary terms

Post by Ian McIntosh »

Using Brad's glossary proposals (http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P1687_Gl ... 90610.pptx) as a starting point, record any comments or suggestions in this thread. At points (and if necessary) we can pull related comments together in a summary post.
Ian McIntosh
Testability Lead
Leonardo UK

Ian McIntosh
SJTAG Chair

Re: Comments on STAM Glossary terms

Post by Ian McIntosh »

Hierarchy: The 1149.1-2013 definition has taken ownership of the root word where it probably should be qualified, as its use in the standard is non-generic. We may want to consider "assembly hierarchy" (or some similar term) for P2654 as the 1687 network hierarchy is probably too specific to cover our view of the composition of "a system".

Presentation-wise, I'd probably have wanted to address Retarget and Retargeter before introducing Pattern and Pattern Retargeting.

Brad described to me an exercise in the P1687.1 group where they tested the definition of 'transformation' by proposing the argument that it might be a special form of retargeting. I suggesting (half-jokingly) that it might be easier to argue the reverse, that retargeting was a special form of transformation, in which the protocol didn't change. Subsequently, I thought that if we assumed that were true then we'd need another term for the specific case that we've been calling transformation: I proposed 'transmutation' since some structural change was always involved. However, that's just my initial thought and the key point is that I think we'd find long-term value in having a term for the collective case as well as the specific cases that we call retargeting and transformation.

Incidentally, my 1974 Sipl & Sipl "Computer Dictionary" gives the following definition for 'transform' - "To change the structure or composition of information without altering its meaning or value; to normalize, edit or substitute."
Ian McIntosh
Testability Lead
Leonardo UK

Ian McIntosh
SJTAG Chair

Re: Comments on STAM Glossary terms

Post by Ian McIntosh »

From this point, please start a new topic for each word or term to be discussed.
Ian McIntosh
Testability Lead
Leonardo UK