Study Group title and Call for Participation

Discussion and feedback on the SJTAG Initiative Group weekly meetings.
Heiko Ehrenberg
SJTAG Vice Chair

Study Group title and Call for Participation

Post by Heiko Ehrenberg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:06 pm

To follow up on today’s SJTAG meeting, I’m requesting that we all review this email and decide on both the study group title and the invitation text by this Wednesday, July 19, 2017. (Keep in mind that whatever we choose as title for the study group doesn’t necessarily need to be used as the eventual working group title; so I don’t think we need to get too hung up on the name.)

Study Group title; here are some proposals; please vote on those or propose another:
  • System Test Access (STA)
  • System TEst Access Management (STEAM)
  • Test Engineering and Maintenance Access (TEMA)
  • System Test Engineering Access and Maintenance (STEAM)
Call for Participation draft:
This is a call for participation in the [title] Study Group (previously referred to as 'SJTAG'). Those interested in joining the Study Group or being kept informed of its activities should notify their interest by email to chair@sjtag.org or via the Contact Page.

IEEE 1687 (a.k.a. iJTAG) and IEEE 1149.1-2013 (often referred to as JTAG) provide methods for describing instrument interfaces on a per component basis, but do not provide the contextual prerequisites for the dependence on each instrument configuration and/or aggregation of multiple instruments for the overall board and/or system maintenance operations. Further, many components only support non-JTAG interfaces (e.g., I2C or SPI) to their instrumentation registers.
A new supervisory standard is required to define the coordination and dependencies of instruments as well as configuration, management, and application of vector based testing at the board and system levels, utilizing the pin level access provided by other standards.

The goal of this study group is to explore the feasibility and to develop a project authorization request (PAR), including the scope and purpose, for an IEEE standard that defines methods to allow, in conjunction with existing methods, for the coordination and control of device, board, and sub-system test interfaces to extend access to the system level, by leveraging existing test interface standards (by defining a description to better manage how they are used in the system).
Among the use cases to be considered by such a standard are structural and functional test, configuration / tuning / instrumentation, software debug, built-in self test, fault injection, programming / updates, root cause analysis, failure mode analysis, power-on self test, environmental stress test, and device versioning.
Please provide your input both on the title and the text as soon as possible.
- Heiko

Ian McIntosh
SJTAG Chair

Re: Study Group title and Call for Participation

Post by Ian McIntosh » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:09 pm

I agree that the title only needs to be “good enough” for the Study Group’s purpose and doesn’t need to be prescriptive. I’d expect that the Study Group will determine an official title as part of any draft PAR.

On the proposed text, I’m inclined to suggest swapping the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs so we have:
  • What the message is about,
  • What the group’s objectives are,
  • Why the activity is needed.
As it stands, we have the ‘why’ before the ‘what’ which feels wrong to me (but that’s just a personal opinion – “your mileage may vary”).
Ian McIntosh
Testability Lead
Leonardo MW Ltd.

Adam W Ley
SJTAG Established Member

Post by Adam W Ley » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:10 pm

I should probably just stay on the bench, so to speak, but I have a visceral reaction to the names that include “engineering” and “maintenance” … I don’t like them (yes, I know, it’s a personal problem ;)

For the name, leveraging the study group proposal, I’d vote for System Test Access (SJTAG for short).

I’ll try to read the “call” text sooner than later, but I tend to sympathize with Ian’s point.

eric.cormack
SJTAG Member

Post by eric.cormack » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:11 pm

The name I would go with, for now at least, is System Test Access (STA).

The wording for the text looks good.
DfT Solutions Limited
34 Woodhall Way
Fareham
Hampshire
PO15 6BW
United Kingdom
+44 (0) 7952 903775 (Mobile)

Ian McIntosh
SJTAG Chair

Post by Ian McIntosh » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:12 pm

I'd agree with Adam about titles including "engineering" and "maintenance" starts to lean towards Dot 5.
My preference is towards System Test Access Management - the Management aspect takes it away from 1687 or 1149.1 which provide "test access", and differentiates it from Dot 5 while System is a keyword for us.
Ian McIntosh
Testability Lead
Leonardo MW Ltd.

Peter.Horwood
SJTAG Member

Post by Peter.Horwood » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:13 pm

My vote is for System TEst Access Management (STEAM).

Bradford Van Treuren
SJTAG Chair Emeritus

Post by Bradford Van Treuren » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:14 pm

I too vote for System TEst Access Management (STEAM).
I also agree with Ian regarding swapping 2nd and 3rd paragraphs.
Bradford Van Treuren
Distinguished Member of Technical Staff
NOKIA MN

carlwalk
SJTAG Member

Post by carlwalk » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:14 pm

That sounds good to me.

Adam W Ley
SJTAG Established Member

Post by Adam W Ley » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:19 pm

Is this the point at which we hail "The king is dead, long live the king!" ??

Frankly, I liked the old king (SJTAG).

I'm not much for the new king (STEAM), mostly because it loses all connection to the legacy (JTAG), but also because STEAM seems a highly overloaded term:
Ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(disambiguation)

And it's not even a proper initialism (which would be STAM or, with some liberty(?), STeAM) ...

Of course, in the end, I'll be very happy to accede to the majority, so no need to consider any of the above as anything more than my just blowing off steam ;)

Heiko Ehrenberg
SJTAG Vice Chair

Post by Heiko Ehrenberg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:20 pm

We can always ask Adam Cron if he really has a strong objection to SJTAG, and if he doesn't we could just keep it. The concern was that that name may make people think we are only addressing the JTAG infrastructure, while we actually now consider other interfaces, too (such as I2C, SPI, etc.).
- Heiko

Ian McIntosh
SJTAG Chair

Post by Ian McIntosh » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:21 pm

I'm really not at all fussy what, if any, acronym the title gives us, because in any case I suspect we will continue to use SJTAG as an internal or short form name (and I've said as much to Adam Cron). The website domain is not going to change (unless someone else is going to pony up for the registration and migration fees) so I'd be keen to stick with SJTAG. At least in that way. But I do see the possible misconception that casual observers of that title may take away, which I believe is what Adam Cron was concerned about.
Let's not get hung up on the acronym, and concentrate on the message (unless the acronym ends looking detrimental).
Ian McIntosh
Testability Lead
Leonardo MW Ltd.

carlwalk
SJTAG Member

Post by carlwalk » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:26 pm

I agree, Ian – I’m not fussy. Let’s just call it something and get on with it :)

Heiko Ehrenberg
SJTAG Vice Chair

Post by Heiko Ehrenberg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:59 pm

Based on feedback so far, and on some input from Adam Cron regarding what is required for the call for participation invite, I have revised the draft for further review/discussion:
This is a call for participation in the "System Test Access Management" Study Group (also referred to as 'SJTAG'). Those interested in joining the Study Group or being kept informed of its activities should notify their interest by email to chair@sjtag.org or via the Contact Page.

The goal of this study group is to explore the feasibility and to develop a project authorization request (PAR), including the scope and purpose, for an IEEE standard that defines methods to allow, in conjunction with existing methods, for the coordination and control of device, board, and sub-system test interfaces to extend access to the system level, by leveraging existing test interface standards (by defining a description to better manage how they are used in the system).
Among the use cases to be considered by such a standard are structural and functional test, configuration / tuning / instrumentation, software debug, built-in self test, fault injection, programming / updates, root cause analysis, failure mode analysis, power-on self test, environmental stress test, and device versioning.

IEEE 1687 (a.k.a. iJTAG) and IEEE 1149.1-2013 (often referred to as JTAG) provide methods for describing instrument interfaces on a per component basis, but do not provide the contextual prerequisites for the dependence on each instrument configuration and/or aggregation of multiple instruments for the overall board and/or system maintenance operations. Further, many components only support non-JTAG interfaces (e.g., I2C or SPI) to their instrumentation registers.
A new supervisory standard is required to define the coordination and dependencies of instruments as well as configuration, management, and application of vector based testing at the board and system levels, utilizing the pin level access provided by other standards.

Currently, the study group meets on-line at a weekly basis, with one hour long conference calls scheduled for Mondays, at 11 am EDT (15:00 UTC).
In order to participate in the meetings, please request a meeting invitation via email to chair@sjtag.org or via the Contact Page.
The study group activity will last for 6 to 12 months, with the intended outcome of the creation of a Working Group to continue the IEEE Standardization effort.

More information about past activity of the SJTAG initiative group that resulted in formation of this study group can be found at http://www.sjtag.org.
- Heiko

Adam W Ley
SJTAG Established Member

Post by Adam W Ley » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:39 am

A few points here, all of fairly little consequence ...

Digressing to the "title" for just a moment, consider that compounded noun modifiers are read from right to left, so "System Test Access Management" has the sense of something like "Management of Access of Test of System". Play around with different prepositions, such as "for" or what have you, but I don't think that's really what we want to say since "Management" becomes the key noun (and all the others are just modifiers) ...

That aside, as to the draft invitation, it's looking really good. Here are just some minor points to consider.
  • if the text is to be taken from the Forum, note that the hyperlinking of Contact Us has been lost
  • several of the "paragraph" breaks are doubled, but a few are not = be consistent (double or remove, as appropriate)
  • I think I would move the part about duration of the study group; perhaps make it the second paragraph? or at least above the "Currently, the study group meets"
  • in that same text, "Standardization" needs not to be capitalized
  • In the last paragraph, I suggest that "More information" be simply "Information
  • and in the second sentence, "Study Group"
    also need not be capitalized

Ian McIntosh
SJTAG Chair

Post by Ian McIntosh » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Adam W Ley wrote:
  • if the text is to be taken from the Forum, note that the hyperlinking of Contact Us has been lost
I've fixed the missing hyperlinks (I'm guessing Heiko wasn't clear on how to insert those - it's not obvious).
Ian McIntosh
Testability Lead
Leonardo MW Ltd.