The discussion forum for the SJTAG Initiative Group

Study Group title and Call for Participation

Discussion and feedback on the SJTAG Initiative Group weekly meetings.
Michele
SJTAG Established Member

Re: Study Group title and Call for Participation

Postby Michele » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:24 am

Coming in a bit late, but I also like STEAM.

System Test Access would be a good summary, but STA is already used for
Static Timing Analysis and would be a little confusing for people coming
from a uElectronics design background.

Ian McIntosh
SJTAG Chair

Postby Ian McIntosh » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:41 am

Having now read the bullet points from Adam Cron and reviewed the comments above, I propose a slight re-arrangement of the invite text (title within to be agreed):
This is a call for participation in the "System Test Access Management" Study Group (also referred to as 'SJTAG'). Those interested in joining the study group or being kept informed of its activities should notify their interest by email to chair@sjtag.org or via the group's Contact Page (http://www.sjtag.org/members/contact-us).

The goal of this study group is to explore the feasibility and to develop a project authorization request (PAR), including the scope and purpose, for an IEEE standard that defines methods to allow, in conjunction with existing methods, for the coordination and control of device, board, and sub-system test interfaces to extend access to the system level, by leveraging existing test interface standards (by defining a description to better manage how they are used in the system).

Among the use cases to be considered by such a standard are structural and functional test, configuration / tuning / instrumentation, software debug, built-in self test, fault injection, programming / updates, root cause analysis, failure mode analysis, power-on self test, environmental stress test, and device versioning.

This new supervisory standard is required to define the coordination and dependencies of instruments as well as configuration, management, and application of vector based testing at the board and system levels, utilizing the pin level access provided by other standards. IEEE 1687 (a.k.a. iJTAG) and IEEE 1149.1-2013 (often referred to as JTAG) provide methods for describing instrument interfaces on a per component basis, but do not provide the contextual prerequisites for the dependence on each instrument configuration and/or aggregation of multiple instruments for the overall board and/or system maintenance operations. Further, many components only support non-JTAG interfaces (e.g., I2C or SPI) to their instrumentation registers.

The study group activity will last for 6 to 12 months, with the intended outcome of the creation of a Working Group to continue the IEEE standardization effort. The group currently meets on-line on a weekly basis, with one hour long conference calls scheduled for Mondays, at 11 am EDT (15:00 UTC).

Information about past activity of the SJTAG initiative group that resulted in formation of this study group can be found at http://www.sjtag.org.

I've tried to improve the "flow" of information, remove duplication and generally tidy up. I've also split out the URL for the Contact page to ease copying into any plain text formats.
Ian McIntosh
Testability Lead
Leonardo MW Ltd.

Ian McIntosh
SJTAG Chair

Postby Ian McIntosh » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:02 am

Adam W Ley wrote:Digressing to the "title" for just a moment, consider that compounded noun modifiers are read from right to left, so "System Test Access Management" has the sense of something like "Management of Access of Test of System". Play around with different prepositions, such as "for" or what have you, but I don't think that's really what we want to say since "Management" becomes the key noun (and all the others are just modifiers) ...
But maybe that is what we mean? It seems that "management" (or perhaps co-ordination, but that seems to amount to the same thing) is what we've come round to saying needs to be addressed.
Ian McIntosh
Testability Lead
Leonardo MW Ltd.

Adam W Ley
SJTAG Established Member

Postby Adam W Ley » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:38 pm

In reply to my earlier post:
Ian McIntosh wrote:But maybe that is what we mean? It seems that "management" (or perhaps co-ordination, but that seems to amount to the same thing) is what we've come round to saying needs to be addressed.

Maybe, indeed ... Actually, I meant to include a question mark in my text as well, to make my "I don't think" non-emphatic == "I don't think?"

In the end, it's all what you decide, whether it's the title or the content of the work ... I've been on the sidelines too long to be able to make an emphatic case, much less presume to do so.

At any rate, if I humor my intellectual curiousity to extend the "word play" just a bit further, trying out one of the possible alternative prepositional constructions, do we have:
  • "Management of Access to Test within System(s)" ??, or
  • "Management of Test Access within Systems" (which, I should suppose, would be hyphenated as "System Test-Access Management") ??

Thanks!
Adam

Ian McIntosh
SJTAG Chair

Postby Ian McIntosh » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:56 pm

That's interesting. In my head, I was collecting the words "System Test" (test of a system) together as the object and "Access Management" (management of the access) as the action. But "test-access" has a correctness to it too. I'm now officially confused! :shock:
Ian McIntosh
Testability Lead
Leonardo MW Ltd.

Adam W Ley
SJTAG Established Member

Postby Adam W Ley » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Some degree of ambiguity (perhaps even confusion) at this point is just fine, I suppose?!

I have full confidence in the study group to iron out the wrinkles!!

(which, honestly, is why I'd just as soon stick with "SJTAG" for now)

Alright, then, that's enough from the peanut gallery ...

Return to “Weekly Meetings”